Discovering Donna


Posted in Ankle by Donna on December 19, 2008

K well, I’m thankful that it’s Friday.  So let me take you back a couple of weeks and let me give you the whole no holds barred ugly story.  As soon as I find my USB cable I’ll upload the pictures to my photo album and you can see what I’m talking about.  I don’t think I’ve blogged much about what really happened but I know I’ve blogged about my feelings.

It all started on our way back to my little brother in laws band concert.  We had to park on this street and Judy who was driving had to let us out because the curb was so high.  And it was dark to.  According to my accident report, it was illumiated usually by the neighbors christmas decorations.  So we’re off to enjoy the band concert.  After it was over with Judy, Dirk, Ryan and I were walking back to the car.  Greg had walked with Auntie Barb and she was going to drop him off at the house.

Well, when we got to the car, I decided to get in on the driver’s passenger side and just scoot over, making room for the hubby.  Well, I stepped down and my left ankle snapped.  My right one came next and it twisted and I went down on the ground.  At first I thought it was just my clumsiness but then I started to feel the worlds most excruciating pain.  I thought how wonderful, I’ve just sprained both of my ankles.  I couldn’t tell how much pain was coming from one ankle and how much was coming from the other.  So I laid on the concrete for a minute and Judy called Greg to run back by.

At this point, the pain in my right ankle had subsided but it still hurt and the left one, there are literally no words to describe the pain.  First Judy sat on the curb and tried to support me, to help me sit up and then Greg sat down behind me.  At this point, they had called paramedics because well, even then we knew it wasn’t good.  Both feet were swollen and the left one was laying to the left, limp and looking disconnected.  So the paramedics got there in 2 minutes flat.  They cut the laces on my left shoe and got the right one off without having to cut.

The police came with them and little known to me, they had my hubby over to the side to question him because they automatically assume abuse.  Which hello it was not the case.  And this whole time, my father in law was sitting behind me supporting me and trying to make sure I was calm.  And believe me, I’d have probably screamed bloody murder if he hadn’t been.  His presence was calming, even in that situation.  I remember shaking and crying and doing my best not to scream with the pain.  They managed to get an IV started in my arm and give me some morphine, but it did nothing to help the pain.

As quickly as possible, they were able to get splints on both ankles, the left one looked only to be dislocated.  I was afraid all along it was broken and I would prove to be right.  So they get me loaded and transported to the hospital and into the ER.  I was x rayed really quickly and then given more drugs.  After the X rays came back, they discovered not only was the left ankle dislocated but I had broken the Tib/Fib bones.  They had to call the orthopedic surgeon in to get his diagnosis.  Which he confirmed.  I was going to need surgery.  So as doped up as they could make me, they waited a minute and relocated my ankle and splinted me back up so I could at least have that support.  My right ankle was only severely sprained.

They got me a bed for the night, in a semi private room.  My surgery was scheduled for the next afternoon.  Before I went though, they did manage to move me to a private room.  So after surgery is sort of a blur, I woke up with a soft case on my foot and orders to stay off of it for two weeks.  I came home that Monday where I have been in bed for the most part, counting down the days until I could get the hard cast.

I had prayed that it would be a weight baring cast and not a non weight barring cast.  But after reading all these horror stories on staple removal, I was sort of scared to go back today.  But we got there, after the comical event of trying to get me down the stairs and we were sent straight back.  I went to Xray and then the doctor came in.  We say the x rays of before and after and I took pictures.  He told me that he’s putting me in a non weight baring cast for 2 more weeks and then I could be in the soft booty.  So off to the casting room we went.

A wonderful man named Carlos took off the offending soft cast.  I then discovered the root of the “issues” with my ankles.  It wasn’t the splint in the soft case.  It was the incesision site itself.  Talk about ugh!  I have pictures of that too.  I had 6 staples in the one that is on the inside and then 13 on the outside where the plate went.  And my poor foot, I’ve never seen anything so swollen and bruised before.  So Jose comes in and he’s going to be the one to take out my staples and then put the cast on.  He’s such a nice man too.  He kept talking to me and kept my mind occupied and I didn’t really feel the staples come out!  Well except for one, but that’s it!!!

Then it came time for me to pick out my color and I had many to choose from but my choices were down to pink, purple, yellow and black.  But I didn’t like the black color.  I wasn’t crazy about the pink and purple either.  And I kept hearing Judy’s words to me last night in my head.

“Pick a color that when you look down at it you can laugh or be happy”

Yellow it is!

So the  cast is on and we’re back home.  I’m in my pj’s having took a pain pill because well, my foot at a 90 degree angle is sort of painful right now.  I have a week and 2 days before I can go back to work so all will be good.  Time to get used to this thing.

Do I feel better?  Yes  Can I laugh at the whole situation? Yes  Do I still want my mom?? Hell Yeah!

But you know what?  It’s going to be okay.  I just have to give it time.  But then again, maybe that’s the pain meds talking.  I’m sleepy.  Until tomorrow,

Good night all.  Peace out and I love you!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: